About:

Welcome

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

edited October 2011 in Theater
I have been listening to some of the music from this and I absolutely fell in love with it! Anything we know about the process that brought Howard to making this adaptation?

Comments

• It does have a really good score.
  • edited November 2011
    I'm glad you guys like this, I wish more people knew about it. Not much I can say yet but I'm hopeful that there will be more Rosewater in our future.

In the meantime, thank you, Kiorage, for giving me a new blog post idea. Give me a few weeks to put something together.
  • edited July 2012
    I've been listening to the demos on YouTube for this so many times on repeat. I love the music and lyrics a lot, and because I wasn't familiar with the plot I decided to pick up the book that Vonnegut wrote to understand the context of the songs better as I realised that seeing the play wasn't really an option. (Sadly.)

I don't have much more to add, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the novel and that I really enjoy the songs, maybe even moreso now that I've read the book.
  • If you're interested, you can purchase a copy of the script to read what they do in the stage production. You can buy it from SamuelFrench.com or try contacting the Drama Book Shop in Manhattan.
  • Thanks to my university's inter-library loan system, I have been able to acquire read the libretto of "Rosewater" (before sadly returning it). The script was funny, the stage design was very low-tech (it stays the same throughout the entire play), and after hearing the demo tapes on YouTube, it makes me wish I could see it produced at my university's theater department. Blessed be whoever has seen a production.
  • @Logan - Is that possible, even without the intention of performing it? I thought it was a licensing deal that was pretty closely tied up with a performance, although admittedly I haven't read that closely through the site. (Also, I'm not a US Citizen so I believe I have to contact someone else about it anyway?)

@Mikhail - I would love to have seen a production as well. From listening to the (very great) songs, it seems like a very interesting take on what I found was a very good book. Still very relevant, too.
  • @Speilbilde - You do not have to have any intention of performance to buy scripts from Samuel French. They publish them like books and all one has to do is purchase them from Samuel French directly or another bookseller that has them.
  • One great way to see a production - talk to your school theater department and "make it work."
  • @Logan - Oh, neat. I just saw it on the licensing list and so I assumed they only handed them out to people who also bought a license to perform the show. I'll look into it, thanks!

@Sarah - I would if I could. My university-college doesn't have a theater department. (Nor do, as far as I know, any of the schools I've attended previously.) Hopefully someone else will have more luck with that tip, though. :)
  • Speilbilde(?) That's so sad to hear, about your university. Unless you're in med school or something like that, in which case the best theater is an operating one, I guess.
  • Hey, figured this would bring a little smile on some people's face: it's a production of Rosewater that someone deiced to make. I'll be the first to admit the actors aren't as energetic as the demos should be, but for what it is, it's still great to see someone knows of this musical.

Best of all, they have more videos of their production on their youtube page.
  • @Sarah - (Yup, you wrote my nickname right.) I think it's just down to how the school system here works vs how it works over in the US and such, but I'm not really sure why that is. But yeah, it's unfortunate.

@toonmate - Oh, that's awesome! I am definitively watching those later tonight. Thanks so much for sharing! I wish that he had even more videos of it up, but it's nice to see those regardless. :)