About:

Welcome

Little Mermaid at Disneyland

edited June 2011 in Disney
Anyone seen the new ride at Disneyland yet? I'm dying to hear about it. http://bit.ly/kOs21g

Comments

• I rode it last week--it's very cute! The all the big scenes in it are based around the musical numbers, so it's a nice showcase of the score. As usual, I think humans are more difficult to depict than other, more "cartoony" characters, so Ariel herself looks a little bit off to me, but Ursula is wonderful and the big "Under the Sea" room is terrific and detailed.
    The interstitial bits are great at providing atmosphere and showing off different parts of the story. I hope Howard would have enjoyed it!

• Thanks for the update. I hope to get out there to see it myself eventually.
  • edited June 2011
    Had the good fortune to attend the opening day events for Ariel's Undersea Adventure! What a thrill seeing the musical numbers from the film come to life in Disney animatronic fashion! Here are a few shots I took:

Here's a little panorama of the event area...

Jodi Benson singing "Part of Your World"...

Sherie Rene Scott doing "Poor Unfortunate Souls"...

Queue for Ariel's Undersea Adventure...

"Kiss the Girl" scene with Eric and Ariel..

Mermaids in the pool at the Disneyland Hotel afterparty!
  • Great photos. Thanks for posting!
  • I was just about to post a thread about Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast (also, Aladdin) in the Disney Parks, but luckily I decided to look through the existing threads before I did so since this mostly seem to fit! :)

--

I recently visited Disney World's New Fantasyland and I was just hoping to start a discussion about the Under the Sea-ride and just the way the movies Howard worked on are present in the parks overall. I don't know if anyone else have been, but I really enjoyed it.

Personally, I really loved the Under the Sea/Journey of the Little Mermaid/Ariel's Undersea Adventure ride, I'm a big sucker for dark rides and I thought it was really wonderful and I loved how much focus the music had in it. Honestly, seeing my childhood favourite movie like that made me a wee bit emotional. I agree with @jnyama on the human designs though. While I liked them for the most part (they WERE very pretty), I feel like the designs on e.g. the Snow White-ride are better as Ariel seemed very rubber-y in comparison.

We also got a chance to see Voyage of the Little Mermaid at Disney's Hollywood Studios, which was very nice too. I loved the visuals especially for that one, and it made me really want to see the Mermaid get up on Broadway again - hopefully if the visuals in the Dutch production work out, they'll bring it back at some point.

In addition, we saw the Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage!-show which was nice enough. I thought the way it was cut down seemed a bit fragmented, though I suppose that everyone who goes to see it has already seen the movie and can fill out the blanks for themselves.

New Fantasyland in general has a huge Little Mermaid/Beauty and the Beast focus, which made me happy. It's really cool hearing a twenty-something year old guy you don't know sing the lyrics to "Gaston" very loudly while sitting in Gaston's Tavern.

--

Side-note: sorry that this got incredibly long, as I said I originally intended it as a thread-starter. ;)