About:

Welcome

The Little Mermaid Anniversary

edited November 2013 in Disney
November 15 marks the 24th anniversary of the release of The Little Mermaid. Does anyone have any stories or memories they would like to share?

Comments

• I've loved the film since I was a toddler, and on my first trip to Disney World (1996?-- I think I was 4 or 5), I made my parents buy me the stuffed toys of Sebastian, Flounder, and Ursula. (The latter toy was really cool. It was a puppet where you could animate some of her tentacles.) There was a Little Mermaid show at MGM Studios with a really cute little gift shop that sold mostly Mermaid stuff-- I haven't been to Orlando in about eight years, so I don't know if it's still there.

Funny, but the other day, Bobby Lopez, who has recently penned the score of FROZEN with his wife, Kristen Anderson-Lopez, posted a picture of merchandise display for that film on Twitter. I'd imagine that any writer working on a Disney animated feature would feel that having stuffed toys and costumes and figurines of characters you helped create songs for (or wrote and created yourself even) would be as surreal and cool as going to the premiere or hearing little kids sing your songs at Disneyland (or World).

So happy anniversary to this wonderful film, and sorry for going off on a less artistic tangent this time. ;)
  • edited November 2013
    The Little Mermaid has been my favorite disney princess movie ever since I was little. I have the movie twice on vhs (I know, I really need to get the diamond edition) and all of the songs are on my ipod. I don't own the Howard Sings Ashman cd yet, but I've heard almost all of the demos from it on youtube, including the ones from The Little Mermaid, and they are all absolutely stunning. I love the way Howard sang the songs with so much emotion, especially Part Of Your World. I just can't get over how amazing that particular demo is. It sounds so believable, like you really understand how Ariel is feeling.

Anyway, I still can't believe its already the 24th anniversary. I'll defiantly be watching it this Friday.
  • I missed this film at the cinema because I moved to the US from the UK in 1990. It had already come and gone in the US and hadn't been released in the UK before I left. I got my hands on a VHS and watched it three times in a row. I absolutely loved it. Shortly after getting married I found myself pregnant and I watched the film and listened to the soundtrack constantly. After our little girl was born whenever she would cry we would play or sing Kiss The Girl to her and she would quieten down. I had a picture on the wall next to her changing table and when she was a little older (maybe around 1) I asked her where Flounder was in the picture and she pointed to him! Of course that made me very excited because it was a big thing. Anyhow, The Little Mermaid is still my favourite Disney film even though I was brought up on the classics. When I was a little girl I dreamed of being a mermaid and I always wanted red hair so Ariel was perfect to me.
  • Love reading these memories...
  • I remember loaning the movie on VHS from the library all the time. I really loved it. I remember sitting and rewinding Part of Your World so I could write down all the lyrics because I loved that song. (In Norwegian, my mother tongue.) I remember pretending to be Ariel whenever I was swimming in a pool or in the ocean (Who didn't, really?) and do her hair flip thing whenever I went up for air. Ariel was my favourite character, I loved her curiosity and her lovely voice and sense of adventure. (I still do.) :)

I really love this movie.