About:

Welcome

If there was another Little Shop of Horrors film..

edited December 2012 in Actors and Directors
..who would you want to direct it?

I'm not sure if it's an "if" or a "when" at this point, but either way, this seems like an interesting discussion.

I'd go with either:

Joss Whedon (director of The Avengers, Dr. Horrible, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Edgar Wright (director of Shaun of the Dead, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World)

or

Dino Stamatopoulos (creator of Moral Orel, producer of Anomalisa)

The director has to be someone who can balance comedy with emotion, and I think all three directors I've mentioned are capable of that.

Comments

• I love all of those Directors you mentioned. I'm surprised you brought up Stamatopoulos, I wouldn't have thought of him as a director initially. (I mostly know him for his work on Community as writer/producer/consultant. Well, and acting.) But yes, I agree.

I'm not really familiar with that many directors, but maybe Brad Bird? Mostly based on his directing work for Pixar (and on The Iron Giant) I think he's able to walk the emotion/comedy line pretty well.
  • I loved The Incredibles, but has he ever done anything as dark as Little Shop?
  • edited December 2012
    He did direct The Iron Giant, which, to this day, I refuse to watch because of how much it made me cry as a child.

I've been trying to justify Seth MacFarlane as a possible candidate, but I know he would handle it too much as a comedy. EDIT: I think I should probably mention he is one of my idols.... :)

I feel like Joss Whedon could be a perfect fit for it. Take Dr. Horrible; it's about a nerdy, shy guy doing evil things to try and get the girl of his dreams. And, since he likes killing off main characters, I feel like the happy ending wouldn't be a possibility! :)
  • Yeah, I was thinking of both The Incredibles and The Iron Giant, plus he also did Ratatouille. I don't know if his Pixar work can be considered particularly "dark", but it does have an emotional edge that makes me think he might pull it off.

And I still agree with Joss Whedon, he does seem to be the perfect fit.
  • edited December 2012
    The idea of Seth MacFarlane doing Little Shop of Horrors is laughable at best. To me, his work is little more than a "guilty pleasure". Few of the things he's touched are genuinely funny.

Then there's the fact that he just doesn't really do emotion.

On the topic of Whedon, I loved Dr. Horrible, mostly because of the similarities it bares to Little Shop of Horrors. At times they feel like they're TOO similar, but regardless they're still both very enjoyable works.

• This is the fourth time they've referenced Little Shop on the show. I'm beginning to think maybe MacFarlane taking on Little Shop isn't so far-fetched. Speaking of McFarlane, I think that if he did a Little Shop reboot the same way he did Ted, it could work. Ted had both humor and emotion and it. However, Ted was a bit of an abnormality. Chances are his next film is going to be even sillier.
  • : ( I don't want a Seth McFarlane Little Shop Of Horrors. If we're going to have a raunchy-adult-comedy-cartoon-master do LSOH, then I'd prefer Parker and Stone, but they haven't really expressed any interest in LSOH.
  • @Omega Who's to say he would do it as a raunchy-adult-comedy? Remember, he worked on Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo, two of the cartoons that defined my generation. He's working on the continuation of Cosmos with national treasure Neil deGrasse Tyson. In the DVD commentary to "Road to Germany," he and everyone else in the room talked about how great the movie is, and the fact that, in their opinions, it doesn't get as much respect as it deserves and how it doesn't appear on enough "Best Of" lists. He obviously respects the film, and the musical, enough to either turn down the offer to do the movie, or if he would accept it, do his damnedest to create something that respects the original.
  • I know he would do it more reverently than his normal work, but I still don't really like him. :(
  • Like I just said, MacFarlane COULD do a good job of it, but judging from his track record, the odds are overwhelmingly against that.
  • Uh... This is a tad awkward.

I feel I should let you guys know that I actually enjoy Mr. MacFarlane's work, and he is a bit of an idol to me.

That being said, I see what you guys are saying. But, keep in mind that his "track-record" is actually only 3 animated shows (two of which he doesn't contribute much to), a short-lived sitcom (which, again, he didn't contribute much to), one movie, and a very lovely album. So, in reality, one show, one movie, and one album.

Not really much to really go on, if you ask me.
  • As a producer he has a decent amount of influence over the content of the programs he's involved in.

I enjoy Family Guy on occasion as a guilty pleasure. The gags are funny, but the stories are boring and only exist to serve as gateways for gags, most of which have nothing to do with the story. The characters are all either bland or unlikable. The show's funny, but there's more to a comedy than that.
  • edited January 2013
    I don't think that's true anymore. I think, from everything I've heard and read, he still approves everything on Family Guy, and has some say in American Dad and a bit in The Cleveland Show, but he doesn't contribute that much. He pops in from time to time to record and say "I'm fine with that." He's said the shows are all self-sufficient, and he's starting to focus more on film and other stuff.

And remember that Family Guy was his first attempt at a show, and a continuation of something he did in college. He was only 25 when the show was picked up. Would he pitch it now, with the experience he has? No, I don't think so.

With that being said, let's just agree to disagree, let bygones be bygones, and return to the topic at hand. :-)
  • Just throwing my opinions into the mix, I also appreciate Parker/Stone more than Macfarlane, and I'm MUCH more comfortable with the way they approach musical theater. I'm not suggesting they should direct a new adaptation of LSOH, but if it came down to them and Macfarlane, I'd go with them in a heartbeat.

Sidenote: This is also a tad awkward for me, because I consider THEM to be idols of mine, and I'm not exactly a fan of Macfarlane's. But this was just my two cents on the subject. I'm not looking to start any arguments! (:

Back to directors in general, I think Whedon may be a good fit. Dr. Horrible worked out excellently!
  • I'm not a fan of either MacFarlane or Parker/Stone's shows, to be honest, but I also don't know enough about either of them to argue against them.

Another person I know I wouldn't want to do it who I wouldn't be surprised if other suggested is Tim Burton. I love his original works to death, but I'm less fond of his remakes and adaptations.

I recently realised that I think Brenda Chapman could be a good candidate. She directed The Prince of Egypt; one of the most underrated animated musicals out there, in my opinion.
  • Brenda Chapman did a large amount of work on Disney's Brave, which I thought was a decent movie. And between you and me, I haven't seen The Prince of Egypt - which is shameful, really, since animated musicals are my favorite types of movies. But judging from Brave, I'd say Chapman is a good choice.

I generally dislike Tim Burton, and I don't want to think about what the movie would look like if he adapted it. His work has a signature style to it - a style that I am not a fan of, honestly.
  • I was afraid to mention their names, but here it goes..

Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise.

This duo directed both of my favorite Disney movies: Beauty and the Beast and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Then Atlantis destroyed their careers.

I know it would probably be insane to let them to another movie, and suggesting it probably makes me sound insane, but since this is all hypothetical, I guess it's okay.
  • I think Brenda Chapman would do a wonderful job at it!

As for Gary and Kirk, they made three movies, and one of them isn't as good as the others. (I haven't seen it in years, so I'll refuse to say it's "bad.") They might be able to do it. And if we're going the Disney route, I'd also love to throw out Ron Musker and Ron Clemmens, and Glen Kleene as possible directors.

Especially Glen Kleene. I feel like he would be able to do the emotional underscores wonderfully.
  • @TeenageFan - Yeah, I love Brave too.

@Tacowiz - I think Trousdale and Wise would be a good choice. I was surprised to find out that they've been working on an upcoming Dreamworks live action/animation hybrid film. Maybe it's time for a career comeback? ;) Honestly, I don't think Atlantis is as godawful as people make it out to be either.

@JustinKudwa - Musker and Clemmens are also great. Glen Keane isn't a director, though, to my knowledge? He's a fantastic animator, but as far as I'm aware he hasn't done any actual directing work in the past.

How about Henry Selick? He directed The Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline.

Not related to this director discussion, but I'd love to see a Stop Motion animated Little Shop, as I have a soft spot for the medium and it seems to lend itself well to creepy-and-funny films.
  • I can definitely get behind a Selick version of Little Shop of Horrors, but if we're talking stop-motion, I'd still prefer Stamatopoulous.

For those who don't recall, Stamatopoulous created a show called Moral Orel, which started out as a typical, if formulaic "raunchy adult cartoon", then gradually got darker until it was a straight drama.
  • As I said, I mostly know Stamatopoulous from his work on Community, but he did write one of the best episodes ("Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas", which was also made in stop-motion). I really need to check out that show, though, I've never heard of it before and it certainly looks interesting and he seems to have a great grasp on the medium.

So yeah, I could get behind that too.
  • How about Matthew Vaughn? The overall tone of Kick-Ass seems very in-line with what a Little Shop of Horrors remake could/would/should be.
  • @Tacowiz, the thing I like to think of when it comes to LSOH is that, while the story is kinda over the top--it is based on a B film, of course--there still needs to be a hint of subdued where it doesn't go over the top. And, of course, there's a hint of subdlty (I know they don't spell right, sorry. Can't spell). We, as the audience, need to relate and go along with the action that's being presented, and not get taken out of the fictional dream, as my teacher would say. If something goes way over the top to the point where the audience goes 'this is just stupid,' or 'that wouldn't work,' or points out the flaws, then the filmmaker has failed at what he/she was supposed to do. In short, Matthew Vaughn, I bet is a good director, I have seen Kick-Ass, but I think this should be handled by someone else.

@Speilbilde, I could see Henry Selick doing something like this, especially if they made this a live action/stop motion mix--nothing like Monkeybone--and kept the plant as stop motion. I think he could do a good job on it.

Though, the one thing I like to see, if there is ever going to be a new LSOH film, is that they not only take their ques from the musical, but also give some sort of acnowledement to the original film in some way. Like, I can already see someone asking Jack Nicolson to come back and reprise one of his earliest roles, making him someone who knows Bill Murry's character, making it a family of dentist loving people. Just a thought, but that's just me.
  • edited April 2014
    Phil Lord and Chris Miller are my new third choice. They directed 21 Jump Street and The Lego Movie together. The latter is the most well-reviewed film of the year and probably the best movie ever made for the purpose of selling toys.
  • Hmmm...that would be interesting. I do think the mix of absurd and poignant that those movies have are pretty close to Little Shop. I wonder if they could direct a musical, though.
  • edited April 2014
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/LEGO-Movie-Was-Almost-Musical-5-Unexpected-Things-We-Learned-From-Phil-Lord-Chris-Miller-41490-p3.html

They've come close to doing one on at least two occasions. They were signed onto Bob: The Musical for awhile and they had, at one point, intended for The Lego Movie to be a musical.

Edit to avoid double posting: Just saw Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd. I'm now convinced he could do Little Shop.
  • ^ Burton's Sweeney Todd is a part of what made me not want him to do it so it's interesting that you should say that. I like the Sweeney Todd-movie well enough, but I don't love it. Though I'm not sure if Burton or John Logan (the screenwriter) is to blame for the things I don't like about it.

I can get behind Phil Lord/Chris Miller. I adored the LEGO Movie and that plus everything I've seen from them in interviews make me think they pull off the serious/absurd ratio that Little Shop demands.

I thinking about Bryan Fuller, but then I realised he's only been the Producer and Writer and not the Director. So I'd suggest him for screenplay, at least, since I think he's very good at balancing humour and the more gritty bits which I mentioned is pretty much exactly what LSOH needs, imo. (And Pushing Daisies had quite a lot of music so that shouldn't be a problem.)